Monday, May 10, 2010

Growing Tomatoes

I do not claim to be a gardening expert. I lean toward the method that if it does not the first time just try something different the second time. That is how I discovered that Celebrity tomatoes grow best in my area. I do grow other types including an heirloom variety. Over the years I came up with a few other tips.

First when planting the tomato plants, remove the bottom leaves. If you notice all along the stalk are "hairs". I plant the stalk as deep as I can. Roots will form all along the stalk giving you a healthier plant.


Tomatoes need at least 6 hours of sun and a good amount of water. During the summer here I often have to water my plants twice a day.

One common tomato problem is blossom end rot. The bottom part of your tomato will rot while it is still on the plant. One solution that has worked for me is milk. If I have some milk that has spoiled, I pour it around the tomato plant. The calcium helps prevent this type of rot.

Tomatoes are an excellent container plant. I do cage mine to give the plant some extra support. I used a mix of compost, manure, and a little potting soil.


Last year we picked our last tomato for eating just a few days before New Years. I realize not everyone has such a long growing season. With a little care and attention, you can have beautiful tomato plants and delicious home grown tomatoes.






























No comments:

Post a Comment