Friday, April 2, 2010

Finally Some Progress

Sadly I have been so busy working in the yard/garden that I have not had time to blog about it. I took a bunch of pictures so for at least the next week I will have regular updates. I thought I would take everyone on a short walk around the yard. First up as we head out the back door is this tree.

It has white and pink blossoms on it as it is a plum tree grafted to a peach tree. We wanted a plum tree so we kept cutting out the peach limbs. For the last three years we have not gotten a single plum. This year we decided to let them both grow in hopes of getting something.
Next is the first vegetable I have growing - tomatoes.

I grow the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants in five-gallon buckets. This is not a plant I started from seed. Those are still much too small. This was a purchased plant (3 for $1). I removed the very bottom leaves and then planted the tomato up to the remaining leaves. This helps give it a stronger stalk and a better root system. I added the tomato cage now only because I tend to put it off until I have to fight to get the limbs in. I will not have to worry about that this year.

Come back Monday as we head over to the raised beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment