Monday, April 19, 2010

Vegetable Update




In addition to the tomatoes that I planted about two weeks ago, I planted two bell pepper plants last week. The tomatoes are already growing. I am sure the healthy amount of chicken litter I added to the soil has been an encouragement.






I like to start the zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber, watermelon, and cantaloupe seeds in small cups which can be transplanted into the garden. The cucumber seeds are not sprouting well. All of the squash came up. Most of the remaining seeds sprouted. You can already see some plants that are larger than the others. Those would be the zucchini, of course. I can already tell that I am going to be searching for recipes to use those in.
The last picture is not a vegetable, but it is a definite sign of spring. In the south the legend is that once the pecan trees begin to bud winter is officially over. For the most part this has been true. While I am happy to see the cold weather end, I am not looking forward to the pollen that will quickly follow these first leaves. I suppose this is a small price to pay for the wonderful shade that will be provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment